Tuesday 9 March 2010

Analysing DVD covers

By Jasmine
As we are creating a digipak, I have decided to analyse a music dvd cover. I have chosen to analyse the dvd 'MUSE', a popular rock band who has been around for many years.
When I had first looked at this DVD cover, I had thought that the front cover of the band members looked very similar to Queens music video, 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. This is because in their video their face is highlighted with the use of top lighting. The poses that the band members use are quite sinister as they are looking straight towards you with no expressions on their face, possibly to create the idea of rebellion. I had noticed that the bands name has been used at the very top of the DVD, to point out clearly what they are called. I had researched other Muse CD and DVD covers and had found that the same title design and been used on all of them. This is probably because they have created a logo so that everyone can recognise what they should look out for if they wanted to purchase this from any store. I believe that the target market for this particular rock band is based mainly around teenagers and older adults around the age of 40. When we produce our DVD cover we will make sure that the logo of the band is quite noticeable, but making sure that it does not ruin the band members or other concepts that will be used for the front cover of the DVD.


Here is a CD I had discovered whilst researching CD/DVD covers:
I had found a CD of a band named 'The Velvet Underground and nico' which had an image of Warhol's famous banana on it. I was quite suprised as I had never realised that this was used for another bands design. As my idea for the cover was based on a banana tilted with either the musician or Warhol sitting on the banana in a silohette, i think that this is particularly ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment